|Oxford Historical Society||
Oxford Postal Services
History of Postal Services in Oxford
Oxford Postal Services were established on July 1, 1868. Thomas Barclay was the first Post Master. In 1873 the status of of local mail services went from a way office to regular service.
In 1935 an Order in Council was passed in Ottawa to purchase a lot of land at the corner of Main and Rideau Streets for $1,500. Parliament approved funding. The project experienced a delay due to a Dominion Election held that fall. In June of 1936, $26,000 was approved and the contract was awarded to MacMillian Construction Company of Halifax.
The new PO officially opened on March 18, 1937. Harry Chase was the Post Master and was assisted by Miss Pressie Wilson. Prior to the opening of this Post Office postal services were located in a smaller building on Main St across from this location.
In 1971 the current Post Office was built. The building at the corner of Main and Rideau was repurposed to serve as Town Hall and Police Station. It was demolished in 2011.
Information sourced from the Library and Archives of Canada and The Oxford Journal.
Built in 1937. Located at the corner of Main and Rideau Streets.The building has served as Post Office, Town Hall and Police Station. It was demolished in 2011 and is now the site of the Oxford Heritage Square.
Photo credit Victor Marchant 1961.