Bank of Nova Scotia
Oxford became the site of Scotiabank's 28th agency on November 15th 1889 when George Moore was put in charge of a small office in a building owned by Ernest Fillmore. Eventually the office moved into a building owned by J.S. Van Buskirk. The importance of the branch grew as the surrounding area prospered and a sub branch was opened in Pugwash in 1901. In 1908 more spacious premises were required. The branch first moved into temporary quarters in the former Post Office in the Wood Patton block, later in the year operations moved into the building at Main & Water Streets. It remained in this building for 90 years. In 1997 the Scotiabank branch moved to it's current location on Main Street and donated the building in this photo to the Town of Oxford, where it now houses the Town Hall and Visitors Centre.
Information and photos provided courtesy of Scotiabank Oxford Branch.